William Doak: N&W Brakeman and Secretary of Labor

Wed May 18 21:27:41 EDT 2005

A former Conrail colleague, now workin' for da Hawss in Michigan, recently
sent me this information about one William Doak, an N&W brakeman who rose to
more affluent levels.  Apparently the information was published in the March
1931, issue of Railroad Magazine. Anyone know anything about him and his service
on the Narrow & Weedy Ry (specifically, where he worked) ?

-- abram burnett

The name of this cabinet secretary was William Doak.  He was a switchman on
the N&W who rose to be the General Chairman on the N&W for the BRT and
eventually became a vice-president of the national union.  He ran for a Virginia
senate seat in the 1920's, but as a Republican so you know he didn't get elected.
That seems odd, a respected labor leader running as a Republican - and in
1920's Virginia.  The bio I saw said he was born in Rural Retreat. Evidently
President Wilson thought highly of him and so did Hoover.  In 1931, Hoover made him
his Secretary of Labor.  -- Keith
<