Fw: Railroad Employee Records

Sun Jul 10 13:49:44 EDT 2005

At 04:54 PM 7/9/2005, you wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are railroad employee records from the

>early 1900's available to be searched, on-line or otherwise for

>family research purposes?

>Kevin Johnson

To find employee records which have survived nearly 100 years is
nearly impossible. However, it would not hurt to ask libraries,
historical societies, and museums what they may have. I think your
best bet would be to look in census records now available. For
example, you can find the 1880 census free on line. It lists
occupations. Later census records are now available, but I haven't
found a free source unless your local library has purchased
them. Several web sources have the records available for viewing,
but charge a subscription fee. Every US census up to 1930 is now
available to the public.

SSDI (Social Security Death Index) is on line, and it may be of some
help for the last half of the 20th century. Remember though,
railroad workers were in the Railroad Retirement System, not
SS. Railroad Retirement has never been compiled or indexed for easy
access. Check their website for suggestions.
www.rrb.gov/geneal.html RRB will do a search, $27 per name, and not
refundable if they don't find anything.

Rick Morrison