The NW Class J 611

Mon Aug 8 11:51:26 EDT 2005

Jerry

You can read a detailed report in Chapter 9 of my book, Norfolk and
Western Class J, pages 97-101. However, basically, human error is
probably to blame, it was suspected that the engineer may have had a
heart attack as no effort was made to slow the train for the speed
restricted curve at Cedar, West Virginia. That seems to have been ruled
out, but medical science may have found different results today. My
feeling is that the engineer, a 30 year veteran, was used to running
fast, lost track of exactly where he was, got distracted and missed the
speed board, and was too far into the curve for a brake application.

Ken Miller