Military Locos?

Thu Aug 18 12:50:48 EDT 2005

YES, they used the MRS series of locomotives on the Colorado narrow gauge out of Durango, their was 2 of them used their in the 1960's I seem to recall, several got sent to Alaska.

Could some folks be thinking of the WW1 USRA? that took over the nations railroads? I have seen MANY photos of steam locomotives during that time with "U.S." painted on the tender, along with railroad name painted much smaller.

This is a link to a photo of one of those locomotives on the Bristol Turntable.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS5878.JPG

Here is a photo of an Erie Steam Locomotive, with U.S. markings also.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1597.jpeg

Yours Truly

Andy Jennings

Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:37 PM
Subject: Re: Military Locos?

There usually is an exception to every rule. In this case the rule is that Army locomotives did not operate on Class I railroads.

My exception is strictly from memory and hearsay, so I would appreciate any corrections or additional details. During my military service I worked in the Army Signal Research and Development Laboratory at Ft. Monmouth, NJ, performing radio interference tests and corrective suppression measures on various equipment being procured by the military. One assignment about 1957 was to check a newly built diesel-elecrtic locomotive at the GE test track in Erie, PA. This locomotive, which was destined for the Army Transportation Corps, was designed to be a "universal" or "world" locomotive. It had vacuum and air brakes, it had multiple coupling arrangements, and it could be converted for narrow, standard and wide gauges. It also had an aluminum superstructure to keep the weight within the light loading gauge of foreign railroads.

Later I heard that the locomotive was in service on the D&RGW narrow gauge railroad in Colorado. I don't know if the Army still owned the locomotive then, but if it did, it could be said that this was a case of an Army locomotive operating on a Class I railroad, although that may be stretching things a bit.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 11:54 PM

So far as I know, the USA locomotives were used only at Army bases and in military service overseas during WWI and WWII (for which most of them had been built in the first place). Yes, each road did use its own motive power for military movements.

Several manufacturers have released loco model with U.S. Army lettering. Does anyone know if any USA locos would have been used on the country's mainlines or would they have been used only around army bases?

I would think that each road would want to use their own motive power for military movements, but I've never seen anything written about them.
Jimmy Lisle