Military Locos?

Thu Aug 18 19:52:24 EDT 2005

To those of us who actually served with the 714th TBROS&DE, this string of
emails brought back a lot of memories We've talked about this before, but
as many of you will remember, the 714th built the Alaskan Railroad in WWII
and then reformed at Ft. Eustis to train mostly reservists in the 60's and
70's. I do recall this derailment and would like to think it was during my
stay there before going to RVN in August 1970. As I was a HHC 2LT who had
the most important responsibilities of signing morning reports for the
battalion and observing my cadre of clerks, cooks and bottle washers in
action I missed out on all the action of C Company (operations), A Company
(signal maintenance, B Company (locomotive maintenance) and D Company (car
maintenance). In my vaunted postion I did get to push a hand car around the
track on more than one occasion (any of you who have done this know that the
old movies and cartoons have it all wrong - it is a TON of work) and ride
the "kiddie train" around the post on Wednesday afternnoons.

Also recently have ridden the narrow gauge Sakhalin (Russia) Railway system
from Yuzhno to Nogliki on more than one occasion. You haven't lived until
you've had one minute to catch a train in 2 foot deep snow and the engineer
has stopped about 50 yards from where you're standing. They have plans to
convert to standard gauge but the cost is prohibitive. The railway was
built by the Japanese in WWII and the track is still in pretty good shape.
Many of the bridges have been replaced but still able to support passenger
and freight operation the length of the island.

Thanks for all the notes.

Ed Svitil