Headlight - Backup light conventions

Sat Aug 20 23:52:54 EDT 2005

For most of the steam era, they ran the headlight and/or backup light
only when it was dark. And, yes, it was directional. They turned on the
backup light when backing up. This was generally only when switching in
the yard, or when coupling up to the train. I suppose there may have
been some cases when they backed up "on the road" (such as a pusher
backing down the hill), but this was something I never had opportunity
to observe. I did see a lot of backing up when the were switching the
head end at the Bluefield passenger station. Jim Nichols