40 & 8 box cars.

Fri Sep 23 08:18:29 EDT 2005

To say that anyone would avoid a ride like that is to say you don't know any "foamers"; those who foam at the mouth for even a sighting of a good piece of steam or historical relic of RXR. The stories I have heard from foamers are amazing in the length they have gone just to enjoy a ride that makes your fathers ride a C&O "George Washington" trip. You just gotta love these foamers and I will add I have never met a female foamer, they're to smart.

Oakie G Ford
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: 40 & 8 box cars.

I imagine that was one "excursion" trip that not even we hard-core railfans would have wanted to make!

Thanks for your story. My father also served in WWII. Thanks for your service!

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:24 PM

I made a journey coming home from the ETO in the WW II version of the 40&8. This was from Heidelberg Germany to Le Harve France in March 1946. Don't remember for sure how many was in each car but really crowded, if you were in the end of the car very tricky getting to the door in the dark to empty bladder, lots of groaning and bad language from prone bodies being steeped on. Talk about a ragged looking train this was in March and still chilly each car had a portable stove about the size of a metal beer keg with about four feet of stove pipe then an elbow and two feet out the door, They gave us a sack of some king of compressed peat and coal that was short on BTU's but big on smoke So picture this twenty car train rattling along at about 20 MPH with smoke poring out of these stove pipes. Miserable trip took four days and nights. But We Were Headed Home!!!
R F Smith