Atlantic Coast Line R-1 4-8-4's

Mon Oct 24 12:45:17 EDT 2005

Hugh,

Our paths cross again on another message board!

One thing that has always mystified me regarding
Baldwin's well publicised counterbalancing problems
both with ACL's R1s and New Haven's 4-6-4s: why
didn't Alco and Lima have similar problems during the
late 1930's? Did they discover that the recommended
AAR methods were deficient for more modern power and
change their procedures accordingly? If so, then N&W
could have also independently changed its methods to
bypass the problems Baldwin had. Or, as you
suggested, N&W could have noted the ACL 4-8-4 problems
and reacted directly.

Dave Stephenson