N&W Hoppers on the PRR

Sat Oct 29 10:08:40 EDT 2005

Attached is a view of an N&W hopper 4420 (and NYC hopper) behind Pennsy
Extra 6461 ready to leave Columbus. It is N&W negative number 505892
dated June 5-12, 1947 as part of a series of about 20 negatives shot
for the N&W Magazine article "Trailing a Carload of Coal" July 1947,
pages 350-354 which followed the car from pick up at one of the mines
on the Jacobs Fork Branch to dumping at one of the Sandusky piers.

Joe Collias's book "The Last of Steam" Howell-North, 1960 had a photo
at the bottom of page 218 of Santa Fe 2-10-4 No. 5012 with N&W hoppers
trailing when leased by the Pennsylvania in summer 1956 to bolster
their thinning ranks of Pennsy J-1 2-10-4s.

Ken Miller