N&W vs. Southern Railway

Mon Oct 31 21:45:15 EST 2005

I've been in in SWVA over the weekend so I'm late getting back to you on
your note......a good VaTech-BostonCollege game! Thanks for the info.....
In the past I belonged to all three (when I lived in Clemson, SC). Glad to
know that the 2 Southern Ry Societies (or Society and Association) got
together........never seemed to be the best thing that the Southern folks
were split.

Ed Painter (Narrows, VA - currently in Russellville, AR)

Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:29 AM
Subject: Re: N&W vs. Southern Railway

> Actually there is only one Southern Society now. The SRHA was absorbed by

> the SRHS a couple of years ago, so the Spencer group is the only one. And

> as a side note they have moved their Archives into one building for the

> first time and are now working on organizing it. The collection is in the

> top four in size, The N&W is in the top two or three. This is for

> collections in one place that is, its my understanding that the PRR stuff

> is scattered all over.

> Jason Greene

> Cumming, GA

>>> depression

>>> years of the 1930's. But why in heavens name shouldn't it have been.

>>> Like

>>> it's two counterparts, the Virginian and the C&O, all they had to do was

>>> lug coal from the mines down to Tidewater for export. Profitable, yes,

>>> but

>>> about half of it's westbound traffic consisting of non-revenue empty

>>> hopper

>>> trains. Among other things the N&W would squeeze a nickel until the

>>> buffalo dropped dead. I(n the early 70's while visiting family in

>>> Martinsville, Va., I would on occasion visit the local N&W operation.

>>> The

>>> operator I talked with was cvrying the blues. THe N&W was beginning to

>>> install CTC between Roanoke and Winston -Salem and were planning to

>>> abolish every operator's job between those two points. Anything to save

>>> a buck, right? O.K., now let's check out policy on the Southern

>>> Railway.

>>> I went to work as an operator for Southern in 1968 on the extra board.

>>> In October of that year yhey created a new second trick operator's job

>>> in Gainesville. I bid on the job, got it, and worked it for 18 years

>>> until I

>>> retired and NEVER ONCE in that 18 years was I ever rolled off that job

>>> by an older operator. They ventually added a new third trick operator's

>>> job at Gainesville which gave continuous operator service during the

>>> week.

>>> For the first couple of years after I went to work there was no relief

>>> for

>>> the first trick operator on Saturday or Sunday. The first trick

>>> operator

>>> agreed to work it on Saturday, and I agreed to work it on Sundays. It

>>> was

>>> 8 hours overtime for both of us. I earned about enough overtime to put

>>> my youngest son through the University Of Georgia. When I went to work

>>> for Southern the mast outside of the depot that once held upper quadrant

>>> train order signals was being used only as a support for the radio

>>> antenna

>>> for the depot base radio station. Southern Railway, mind you, alkready

>>> had CTC between Atlanta and Washington. About 6 months after they

>>> put on my second trick job, things began to happen. The C&S Dept.

>>> re-installed the upper quadrant train order signals, including lighting

>>> the

>>> lights on the position lenses. At the outset we were handing up orders

>>> by

>>> hand using string delivery with a "Y" shaped train order hoop. For

>>> safety

>>> reasons the trainmaster had Coster Shops in Knoxville fashion two metal

>>> delivery stands, one for either side as it was doubletrack through town.

>>> And a concrete base next to the track held a receptacle in which to

>>> place

>>> the train order stand. any times I had orders hanging on both sides for

>>> trains going in both directions. The C&S Dept. also installed flood

>>> lights

>>> on each side of the tracks to aid train crews in seeing the orders at

>>> night.

>>> And our stationery supplies started including form "19" train order

>>> pads,

>>> with carbon sheets for multiple copies, clearance cards, and balls of

>>> twine to string up the orders. Of the various jobs we put to work

>>> daily,

>>> one was an 11:00 PM switcher. He was deliberately scheduled to begin

>>> work at 11:00 PM as during the period 8:00 PM until eleven there was

>>> Amtrak No. 820 aqnd the dispatcher regularly wanted to meet the "shots"

>>> as they were called in thaty doubletrack territory,. and a switcher

>>> could

>>> hardly get any track time anyway until 11:00 PM. My tour of duty ended

>>> at 10:15 PM, with no relief on Friday nights. For a few years I stayed

>>> until

>>> 11:15 PM to put that job to work, which meant an hour of overtime. The

>>> Southern Railway let well enough alone, but not the N&W. That was not

>>> so much a merger as it was the N&W just taking over the Southern Ry.

>>> Within three months of the merger one night the trainmaster said "Bill,

>>> we are going to have to move the eleven o'clock job up to 9:00 PM, as

>>> they

>>> are making noises about your overtime on Fridays." So there you have

>>> it.

>>> Who in blazes is the cheapskate between the two companies? Southern

>>> Railway could care less about the overtime, but that bunch of skinflints

>>> on the N&W want to account for every penny. And I defy one of you

>>> N&W buffs to give me the name of a person in N&W management worthy

>>> of even holding the coat of Southern Railway president D. W. Brosnan

>>> when it came to innovations to get traffic back on the railroad instead

>>> of

>>> sitting on his butt hauling coal downhill to the docks, and going back

>>> for

>>> more. It took L. Stanly Crane, another good manager for Southern

>>> Railway to straighten out that Conrail fiasco and put it on a paying

>>> basis.

>>> In the case of Norfolk Southern, it was another case of the tail

>>> wagging