Auxiliary Water Tenders

Tue Nov 22 21:25:23 EST 2005

Actually the purchased tenders had no direct connection to the aux.
tender program. They were purchased to enable N&W to put higher water
capacity tenders on some existing locomotives. The tenders they replaced
did not go into the aux. program, but may have replaced tenders that
did. Anyway, the PM tenders were bought from C&O. Add B&LE to the list.
All the C&O(PM) tenders went to K1's. One B&LE tender went to a K1
(111), and all the rest went to Y3's or Y3a's. The 10 ACL tenders went
to the Y4's. Most, if not all, of the tenders thus replaced were 18 K
tenders. These very well may have gone to Z1b's, relieving 16K tenders
for the rebuilt program. Two of them, however, went to E2a's for the
Clinch Valley train. These relieved 15 K tenders, which were not used in
the aux. program. Jim Nichols