Radford and Shenandoah Divisions

Tue Dec 27 13:55:04 EST 2005

I think.... I am not certain....

That trains ran Monday thru Friday on the North Carolina branch, into the
very early 1980's, serving the lead and zinc mine at Austinville, the
furniture factories and crosstie factory in Galax, and the cotton mill in
Fries. I can recall hearing them on a daily or near daily basis, I lived
within earshot of them in Iron Ridge, about 5 miles from Galax, I would have
been 7 years old in 1980, but I was a certifiable train nut and an stanch
"N&W man" then, so hearing the horns, when playing outside was a BIG DEAL to
me.

Than they dropped down to once a week to Galax for the last few years of the
branch, After the mines at Austinville closed in 1982 (round about that
year)

The cotton mill in Fries closed in 1985, and for several years I remember
seeing the same boxcars sitting at the factories in Galax for weeks on end,
waiting to be loaded, inparticular, a colorful "Rail Box" boxcar that sat
their for months

Andy Jennings

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: Radford and Shenandoah Divisions