Radford and Shenandoah Divisions

Wed Dec 28 20:17:03 EST 2005

Is it safe to say from the condition of the Galax line in its last ten to fifteen years that only four-axle locomotives could be run on it?

It's interesting to hear the stories of how quickly business fell off there. Visiting Galax this past Labor Day weekend, I walked about a mile or so up the New River Trail, which starts on the old right-of-way across U.S. 58 from the Vaughn furniture plant(N&W 557069, a former AC&Y caboose, rests restored at the trail head). Anyway, not too far up the trail is a large creek which is crossed by a large steel trestle. I was amazed to see the date on the concrete abutments stamped "1950"! Business must have been pretty good for the railroad to make such a huge investment at that time, although from what I understand, there was a big flood in Galax not too long before that which probably took the original bridge out.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see how many people remember that little branchline!

John Maugans

Harry Bundy wrote: Meadow View -- one of the few places I've seen a signal placed not in accord-
ace with (then) Rule 337 - "Signals are located over or at the right of the track
they govern . . . .unless otherwise provided." At Meadow View, the eastward
signal was on the left side of the track. Had it been located on the right side
of the track, that coal trestle may have affected the ability of a crew to view the
signal.
Harry Bundy

Folks,
There is also a signal at the West End of Marion's passing track that is the same way as Meadowview's signal because of the coal trestle track. And, its still there. It's on the fireman's side of the tracks.

Also, I can remember setting on the hill above Marion's Industrial park watching the local switching cars for Brunswick Corporation, American Furniture, and another lumber yard that is now part of Visador/Coffmann industries. This was when I was in primary school in the mid seventies. I have no idea about train names, numbers or times, but it would h ave been around 12 noon when I was outside watching them.

Ben Blevins

Yahoo! Shopping
Find Great Deals on Holiday Gifts at Yahoo! Shopping ________________________________________