N&W FD class flats

Thu Dec 29 21:29:55 EST 2005

I probably shouldn't post this because I do not have the dates or the car class involved, but this may be of some interest in spite of the lack of details.

It was probably in the 1960's that I got an assignment to arrange to convert some surplus plasterboard flat cars into pulpwood flat cars, which were in short supply. Inasmuch as the plasterboard cars already had bulkheads at the ends, the conversion was mainly to add timbers along the edges of the deck to tilt the pulpwood inward as on a conventional pulpwood car. I located a sawmill at the N & W's Roadway Material Yard in Roanoke and worked with the people there to modify the carriage to saw some timbers (that were about 10" x 10") diagonally through opposite corners to yield two triangular timbers. These were placed with the long cut surface on the deck and bolted into place.

These cars served the intended purpose for good period of time, but eventually the timbers were damaged and some were even seen to be missing.

I wish I had some reference for the date of the conversion and the car class that was modified in this manner, but maybe this will give some modeler an idea for a different type pulpwood car to model.

Gordon Hamilton