Just got back from Bluefield

Fri Dec 30 10:24:37 EST 2005

Having just made my first trip to N&W coal country, Let me just say wow. I
know it will not be my last. I found a very good source for a self guided
tour on the web called frograil. It gave decent but not always one hundred
percent correct direction on getting around. (Or maybe I just can't follow
directions well. I know someone has hinted to that once :)

Arriving Tuesday morning, We started out in Bluefield, went to Pocahontas,
then over the mountain to US 52 at Maybeury and only got to Welch before the sun
started setting. We needed to find a hotel and the best we could do was
back in Bluefield. Wednesday we lingered in Bluefield to take more pictures
before heading out to Welch. We decided to stop and visit Bramwell. We
enjoyed the bridges over the Bluestone River just outside of town before doubling
back to 52 and back to Welch.

>From Welch we went up the Tug Fork and saw operations at Elbert and Filbert.

By the time we got back to what I think was Gary (Exxon station on corner/
medical clinic across the street) it was time for us to consider our exit
plans. Weather was rolling in and we did not want to get caught in the snow.
We continued up the branch on 103 and over the mountain back to 52 at Elkhorn.
The GPS we had made all the difference. That was all the time we had.

If you are still reading I do have a few questions. On the Tug there was a
wide opening, before Gary, double track with many ruins and a long conveyor.
Is this Wilcoe? Also deep in the branch (staying left passing Gary and
much farther down the road) where I was certain the branch was dead (looking at
the growth between the tracks) we came upon a pair of covered hoppers at what
looked like an ammonium nitrate loader. Where was this? My best guess is
somewhere near Anawalt.

One more question. Heading NW on 52 just out of Maybeury, On the right
was a large brick building. I think it was a former power station. Can
anyone clarify for me?

Well, sorry for the rambling. The trip if nothing else has wetted my
appetite to go back.
Happy New Year to all.

Tom Lewis