Just got back from Bluefield

Fri Dec 30 23:21:21 EST 2005

Jeff and all,

We saw a lot of activity but mostly at the loading facilities at Keystone.
We saw 3 merchandise freights on the main during our outing and one empties
train coming through the yard at Bluestone heading west on Wednesday morning.
Don't know where that one was going. I wish we had chased it. It may
have taken the switch to Saint Paul. We never stayed in one spot long enough to
watch trains march by. We may have missed a lot there as well.

When we went up the Tug to Filbert there were coal trucks coming down the
road so I'm not sure they are loading rail cars there now. However, There was
a hi-rail truck and railroad employees doing something on the track after the
fork in the track heading up to Filbert. I took pictures of the coke ovens
at Elbert. Does anyone know of picture of these when they were active.

It's truly amazing how much stuff I missed. This was a last minute and not
well planned trip. But lately work has interfered with all things planned so
it's good just that we went.

I have been combing through issues of the arrow and railroad atlas' and other
stuff. I could have used an entire day (from day break until dark) on the
Bluestone Branch or on the Tug. I wish I knew where I was when I was in the
branch. Not much marked. At one time we stopped where there must have been
coal operations because the ground was soaked with oil and coal.

Most of all, As a model railroader I was amazed at how close the coal camps
were to one another on the mainline (WV52). Did this happen because as one
mine played out they built another or is it just natural that the coal seems
were so many hundred yards apart and they tapped them all at the same time?

Many Thanks to all who answer this rather green 42 olds questions. And
here's to a Happy and Safe New Year.

Tom Lewis