N&W Budd Pullman "Norfolk Pride"

Thu Jan 5 20:50:39 EST 2006

At the big July 4, 1976 railroad bash in Roanoke, I picked up, for a just a few bucks, a heavy-gauge, 6" x 2 3/4" polished stamped stainless steel plate reading "Designed & Built for Norfolk and Western Railway Company by Budd."

Taped on the back is a hand written message: "May 1950. Plate taken from N&W wrecked Pullman & reserved compartment car at Cumberland, Maryland Yard. #4137, Norfolk Pride."

Just tonight, surmising that the paper on which the message is written looked like a business card, I cut the tape and pulled it off, and low and behold, it is the business card of one Guy Lockard, Mgr. of "Horseshoe Curve Inn, 110 Tenth Avenue, Juniata, Altoona, Pa. Souvenirs, Gifts, Novelties, Refreshments." Had I know this, I would have looked up old Guy, or his relics, during all the years I had Altoona as part of my business territory. Too late now...

Does anyone have information on the "Norfolk Pride" and the "wreck damage" it sustained?

-- abram burnett