Locomotive Wheelbase

Sun Jan 8 23:27:13 EST 2006

Bill - I didn't say that rigid wheelbase is not a factor in the ability of a
steam locomotive to negotiate track curvature. You are misinterpreting my
remarks regarding the ability of the ACL R1 4-8-4; I also never said that
the R1 could not negotiate N&W's curvature. What I DID say was that the R1
did not have the power to adequately handle N&W's passenger consists
systemwide.

On some class I1 2-10-0s that PRR owned (some built by Baldwin, the rest by
Altoona), which were probably twice as large as the Gainesville Midland
engines you're thinking about, only the #1 and #5 drivers had flanges. The
#2, #3 and #4 were all blind. And the PRR engines weren't really expected
to negotiate tight curvature. Why did they do it that way? I have no idea,
but they did.

EdKing
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 11:07 PM
Subject: Locomotive Wheelbase