Where were A,J and Y classes scrapped?

Fri Jan 20 08:20:53 EST 2006

The two scrap yards on the west end were Freidman's in New Boston, OH
just east of the Star Yard area of the Portsmouth Ohio terminal area.
Freidman's could be easily seen from US 52 as it passed through the
"narrows' between Sciotoville and New Boston. It was next to the coke
plant.

In Cincinnati, the scrap yard was Moscowitz's, which was out along River
Road west of the downtown area and west of the big NYC Riverside Yard.
Along here the NYC Indianapolis line ran parallel with the B&O St. Louis
Line. Moscowitz was serviced by the NYC. In those days, the NYC local
was powered by Baldwin Sharks. Moscowitz scrapped many older N&W
locomotives, M's, Y-3, Y-4, Y-5 and Y-6's, Z's, S's and K-1's to my
knowledge. I have heard that J's (maybe K-2's?) were scrapped there but
I have no confirming knowledge of that. The N&W hauled long strings of
dead steamers over the Peavine and transferred them to the NYC at
Ivorydale Yard by the Proctor & Gamble plant. The NYC then pulled them
down to the Riverside yard as part of their local transfers between the
NYC Sharon Yard and Riverside.

Moscowitz scrapped out other railroads locomotives too. Many
Clinchfield locomotives were scrapped there. Chances are that the scrap
went north on the B&O to Armco Hamilton or Middletown blast furnaces.

G Rolih

Cincinnati, OH