Where were A,J and Y classes scrapped?-

Sun Jan 22 19:35:25 EST 2006

While we're on this subject, has anyone ever gone browsing in any of these
scrapyards (that is, if any of them are still in business)? Now I'm sure
any highly collectible items like builder's plates, whistles and bells are
long gone, but who knows what interesting piece of steam history you might
find laying in the dirt.

I worked for the N&W in Portsmouth for about a year (1984 IIRC) and I found
a few items of interest by just kicking around in the dirt at the site where
the roundhouse had been. I found a boiler jacket washout plug cover, a
broken flexible staybolt cap, and a brass lubrication fitting. Nothing to
get too excited about, but I think they're pretty neat to have, knowing that
they were once blasting up the N&W mainline on a steam locomotive.

I just wonder if there might be an interesting part or two left after all
these years.

Hugh Odom
The Ultimate Steam Page
http://www.trainweb.org/tusp