Grottoes Fire Department - N&W Steam Whistle

Mon Jan 23 20:41:07 EST 2006

I recall reading in one of the OWL books that the N&W donated a steam whistle to the Grottoes Volunteer Fire Department for use at their station. Having recently worked with the department on a new truck, I contacted the chief since my curiosity was killing me. Below is the response I received. Thought some of you might be interested to know "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey says.

Jeff Hawkins

Jeff,

After doing some checking with the senior members of the department, I have found that the Alcoa Company (Formally Reynolds Metals) has possession of this item. They checked with the Alcoa Company and have found that they still use this steam whistle as a Evacuation Alarm. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks,
Andrew Holloway