Missing caboose in Galax

Thu Jan 26 08:00:02 EST 2006

Thanks Andy. The caboose in Galax is the one the twin country train club had possession of. I imagine then the true N&W caboose is the one in Fries. I should take a saturday and go out investigating all this stuff huh.....

Bob Welsh
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: Missing caboose in Galax

Their WAS 2 Cabooses in Galax. This goes back to before the rails where removed. NS brought them in about a year befour the last train, and they sat around the yard for a very long time

An Norfolk and Western one, and an ACY one. I had thought that the ACY one is the one that disappeared. If the one at the trail head is not a genuine N&W one, than it most certainly is the ACY one. (I remember it being an ACY caboose, because I remember when they first came to town, it was still in it's ACY/ "Akron Canton and Youngstown" paint.) When I started dating and running around in my own car, in the early 1990's their was a N&W "PAINTED" caboose up Edmonds road, across from where the old factory is. I remember that the Twin County RR Club, got possession of the caboose, and used the local reserve unit to move it to its present location in the late 1990's. The other caboose (the real NW caboose, that is missing from Galax), MAY, been the one in Fries it was moved by rail to its location right befour they pulled the rail up. I recall that the switch was unlocked to the track that is on, and a group of people pushed it from the small yard (not really a yard, 2 stub ended sidings) across from "downtown" to where it is now.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Andy Jennings