Fuel Efficiency

Thu Jan 26 10:05:31 EST 2006

Ed: Fuel efficiency between steam and diesel would be the specific fuel
consumption in lbs. per hp per hr.

In general terms, the diesel will have much better thermal efficiency-
better use of the heat created for some simple reasons based on the
overall cycle temperatures. No to drift off into a general discussion
of the thermodynamics, but the thermal efficiency is a function of the
temperature differences in the cycle. In this case, it is the burning
temperature of the diesel fuel and its exhaust temperature (like 3000
degrees F to about 400 degrees F) compared to the peak superheated steam
temperature of about 900 degrees then down to about 150 F after
expansion. That the diesel burns its expanding gas directly where the
steam locomotive burns outside its steam and adds heat to the steam
makes a big difference. That heat transfer step causes a lot of losses.

Once you add the heat to the expanding gas, you have to look at
converting that energy packed into the gas/steam into mechanical work.
This conversion process (cylinders, rods and wheels or electrical
generation and conversion to rotary motion in the motors) has many
inefficiencies.

Roughly you are converting 3-6% of the energy into useful work. Modern
diesel-electrics with computer controls probably convert 6 to 12 % of
the energy into useful work. Steam or Diesel, it is REALLY important to
run at the optimum output speed and conditions to keep the overall fleet
usage of fuel at the most efficient. The illustration is the C&O
running the H-8 Alleghanies as luggers; they were bleeding money in the
fuel bills. Steam or diesel, it is REALLY important to run at constant
speed especially at the unit's optimum speed. Very tough to run the
railroad and achieve that!

By the way, the N&W took great pains to arrange the trackage to achieve
the optimum speed over the road. That is the main reason for owning the
dynamometer car! I have file from the N&W in the 1920's where they
measured Y-3's performance hauling the coal trains through Chillicothe,
Ohio with the sole purpose of determining how to revise the curves and
grades so that the locomotive did not slow down past its optimum speed
range.

See the past ARROW articles on the EMD Class A and Class Y-6 tests to
get the details of the performance in those days.

G Rolih, Cincinnati