Flat or Gloss on Gauge Hands?

Thu Feb 9 22:46:25 EST 2006

Abram,
I have one of those Ashcroft Gauges as well and mine is definately flat black with flat black numbers and a what looks to be/was flat white gauge face.....I'll take some pics once I get home this weekend....my gauge is supposed to have came off of Y6b 2174 but I see no proof as to what locomotive it came from....it was given to me by my grandfather.

Shawn

My friend, Sam Leach (presently a Train Dispatcher,) has worked around steam (locomotive and stationary) for three decades. For a number of years he ran the steam power house at a large hospital in our area, and for three decades he has repaired, fired and run a number of steam engines on short line railroads.

Sam reports that all paint on all gauges he has ever come in contact with, whether in locomotive or stationary service, has been of flat surface. This includes the hands, the numerals on the gauge dial, and the graduation marks. Sam says he heard years ago from the veterans the same story I heard, viz. that gloss paint was avoided as it might lead to glare and a potential misreading of the gauge.

Until we get other information definitively related to N&W practices, I'm moving my project ahead based on this report.

-- abram burnett