names on N&W documents

Fri Feb 10 20:17:25 EST 2006

Ann:
Those 5 digit numbers are station numbers. They're like a zippity-
do-dah-code. Station 11375 is Elmore, WV and station 11768 is
Plunkett, WV on the Morri Branch. As information, Station 10000
is Lamberts Point (Norfolk) and the station numbers increase to
10767 - Sandusky, Ohio. Branch lines start another sequence of
numbers. I think station numbers are primarily a benefit to the
accounting people. The rate scale for flagmen and brakemen
(called trainmen) are the same, but with the same train, the engine
crew and conductor would fall under a different rate scale and earn
different pay.. Poca-PD refers to the Pocahontas Division - PD means
Pocahontas District --Bluefield to Williamson as opposed to the
CV or Clinch Valley District. No, I don't know R. L. Collins, but there
was a Hobgood on the old ACL between Pinners Point and Rocky Mount.
Harry Bundy