question on N&W HC-47 covered hoppers

Fri Feb 10 21:16:51 EST 2006

Mr. Grigsby,

The information that I have on the HC-47 covered hoppers indicates they were
3-bay "Center Flow" cars built by ACF in 1966 with a cubic capacity of 4,650
cubic feet. The number series was 171000-171274.

The discharge gates were straight gravity on all cars, with the exception of
23, which had a combined gravity-pneumatic discharge.

All but 10 cars rode on Barber trucks (N&W Class T-168); those 10 rode on
ASF trucks (N&W Class T-126A).

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
www.pocahontasmodels.com