Fwd: Mess on the Mountain

Fri Feb 10 23:05:16 EST 2006

NS put 18 cars on the ground Friday afternoon, according to the
Roanoke Times (http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/wb/xp-52134). The
train started in Chicago and was headed to Norfolk by way of Bristol.
It had auto racks (some were burning) and truck frames.

I wondered what was happening when I was headed back to Blacksburg
from Salem on I-81 around 5 p.m. Because of the heavy traffic, I
bailed at the Ironto exit, crossing over the VGN just as a westbound
of empty coal cars was going by. I played tag with it to Ellett and
got caught at both road crossings. He was moving pretty well at Brick
House Crossing, but slowed considerably by the time the last of the
165 cars went by.

This would not be a good night to work for NS on wreck duty with rain
and snow predicted. According to the article, the detailment was near
Den Hill Road and Izaak Walton Lane. That could put it under I-81
just west of Montgomery Tunnel or further up the grade.

Bruce in Blacksburg