Raleigh, Ohio

Sat Feb 11 10:37:07 EST 2006

Dave:
In case you didn't know, one of the NS troop sleepers is preserved
at the NC Museum of Transportation in Spencer.

As far as I know, the express cars were not interchanged --
WHILE IN PASSENGER SERVICE. Hauled in Nos. 1 and 2,
they terminated in Berkley at one end and at Glenwood Yard at
the other. At one time, they MAY have moved into Raleigh
Union Station. Some were converted into camp cars and
one was assigned to the Raleigh wreck cars - NS 900 (derrick),
a heavy weight Pullman, and a wheel car. So I've been told,
the Raleigh wreck cars spent more time on the SAL than they
did on NS, so the troop sleepers did go off-line. In one instance,
Southern was detouring their traffic around the washed away Tye
River bridge and operated Greensboro-Raleigh on the "H" line, then
SAL-RF&P to Washington. There was a derailment on the "H" line
and the Raleigh wreck cars went to the Southern. At that point,
Southern was considering detours on the NS - Charlotte to Raleigh,
but I guess they didn't care to play "Jeopardy".

Ironically, NS 900 survived the N&W/Sou merger. It came to Roanoke
Shops and exchanged booms with another derrick, then was
reassigned to the Tennessee Division .
Harry Bundy