Raleigh, Ohio

Wed Feb 15 21:15:22 EST 2006

moderator can we change the subject line on this thread??
Fred Mullins
modeling the Atlantic & Danville
remember "For Service See......the A&D!"
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: Raleigh, Ohio

Dave I am told the troop sleeper at NC Transportation Museum came from the old Norfolk Southern and it had been in MOW service. It has been fixed up and is used by volunteers who need to overnight at the museum. Perhaps Larry Neal at the museum can give you more details on the car and their history. Cal Reynolds.
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:56 PM

Cal,

Thanks, I have the CYC issue you're talking about.

I agree, it is indeed a good one.

What interests me is what happened to the cars after the government declared them surplus and sold them at auction.

Specifically, the railroads that converted them to express service by plating over the windows, sometimes removing the roof and side vents, removing the canvas diaphragms and buffers, sealing the end doors, fitting them with ice bunkers and express reefer goodies, eventually changing out the trucks, etc, etc. are my real interest.

The (old) Norfolk Southern, Harry Bundy's alma mater, was one such railroad.

Because the NS express troopers didn't seem to get interchanged offline (they don't even appear in the Official Register of Passenger Train Equipment-and I have most issues), there isn't a lot written about them and, of course, they weren't widely photographed. That's why Harry's comment about NS passenger trains immediately got my attention.

Thanks for your interest and my best regards,

Dave Lambert