Covered Hoppers

Tue Mar 21 01:26:27 EST 2006

Ed,

I've heard similar stories from the old timers years ago. If I'm not mistaken, they said the tankage was covered with lime, or something, which made it difficult to tell it wasn't a load of "solid" material.

Jeff Sanders

Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: Covered Hoppers

Abram - remember Leas and McVitty in Salem - the meat processors? At one time they shipped tankage in gons - even viler than your stinking stuff. I knew a brakeman who was going over the tops of a cut in Roanoke Yard and jumped off the top of a hopper into what he thought was a gon loaded with sand.

WRONG!

The crew had to hose him off before anybody'd let him get close to them.

EdKing

But it was a huge mud slick of that putrid-smelling ooze. Both feet went out from under me and I took a painful landing directly on my derriere with a concussion sufficient to turn one's backbone into shards and fragments. I have never seen so many stars in my life. Then I discovered that the viscous mud had me virtually glued to the ground. Fortunately we were on the way home, as I don't think I could have endured working an entire tour of duty coverd with that vile, stinking stuff !

-- abram burnett