Locomotive Sand

Wed Mar 22 09:32:29 EST 2006

I recently asked a question about N&W's covered hoppers and what commodities they were used to ship. I had thought, apparently mistakenly, that once N&W acquired covered hoppers, some of those would have been used to transport sand to the locomotive servicing facilities.

So, how did N&W transport sand to its locomotive servicing facilities?

If in boxcars, were these simply N&W boxcars from the general pool? Mabye N&W boxcars assigned to sand service? Did off-line boxcars ever arrive loaded with locomotive sand?

Or, were they N&W boxcars that were assigned to company service and perhaps had a MoW road number?

Where did the sand come from? Was it an on-line shipper?

I am primarily interested in what N&W did during the 1950s, and specifically what it did at Shenandoah (if anyone happens to know :-) )

Thanks.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
www.pocahontasmodels.com