Limestone service boxcars

Thu Mar 23 09:36:57 EST 2006

John:
I don't know of any pictures of the boxes in limestone service. Certainly
they were so filthy that N&W didn't send the company photographer out
to make pictures. Neither can I recall any particular car number.
Probably any 40 ft. box with a 6 ft. door would qualify. Although I can't
recall the number, one I remember was a Wabash. Bear in mind that
these cars were primarily equipped with friction bearings, which are
now outlawed for interchange service, so now they're gone. My uncle
was an agent for V-C Fertilizer and at Christmas one year (1970 as I
recall), all he could do was complain about how cheap the railroad
was to send him limestone in cars without doors. A two-train
collision at Suffolk that night gave me an excuse to leave. There were
distributors of lime on the Pun'kin Vine that no doubt received lime
in boxes -- Southern States at Boonies Mill for one.
Harry Bundy