Covered Hoppers

Sun Mar 26 17:56:24 EST 2006

Walt:
I think the City of Richmond had a case, but I don't know what they
settled for. Incidentally, the runaway car didn't hit a flood gate;
it hit a door in the flood wall. I heard about the incident from two
sources. NS was good about keeping its employees up to date and
would circulate copies of newspaper clippings from across the system.
I read about the collision, but by word of mouth I heard about the
failure of South Rocky Mount to connect the brake system. I guess
NS had a car inspector at Belle Isle and he is the one that took the
hit.

Now let me axe you a question -- Collier Yard was the source of some
interchange traffic with good revenue for N&W. Of course after CSX,
the Collier interchange kinda dried up. Back in SBD days, Collier was
supposed to take some pressure off Acca Yard (Richmond). Well,
Collier Yard is under new management now and it looks like it's
underutilized. On the other hand, Acca is now stuffed full of so many
cars, that CSX has connived the government into building a runaround
track so Amtrak doesn't interfere. What's going on at Collier these days ?
Harry Bundy