Well.....how about diesel fuel!!

Wed Mar 29 23:27:17 EST 2006

Jim - in a lot of those outlying points diesels simply weren't fueled except in case of emergency. The fuel tanks on even N&W's earliest Geeps held enough fuel to make a round trip on the Bristol Line and Punkinvine, and probably to Hagerstown, too.

In coal yards such as Wilcoe (where I worked for a while) diesels were simply cycled in and out and were fueled at Bluefield and Williamson.

EdKing
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:53 AM
Subject: Well.....how about diesel fuel!!

As N&W acquired diesels it obviously had to fuel them and otherwise service them.

Probably, at the larger engine facilities there was more preparation to handle the arriving diesel fleet.

But at smaller, outlying terminals, such as Shenandoah, Iaeger, Bristol, etc. how were the diesels fueled? I am interested in the timeframe where diesel and steam served side-by-side.

I would presume that sand and water were available through the existing steam facilities; but how was the diesel fuel handled? Was it simply stored in tank cars and pumped directly into the diesel fuel tanks? Were there storage tanks that held the fuel that, in turn, were linked through hoses and other piping to some form of fueling station?

Jim Brewer