Use of Gasoline as a Solvent in Shops

Sun May 14 15:59:35 EDT 2006

Bill told me that in the old days, before good solvents were available, railroad shops used gasoline as the solvent for soaking and cleaning air brake parts. Holey Moley ! Around a shop???

Anyone else heard this story?

Yes, what he said is true. A few years ago a friend loaned me A 1903 Mechanical Engineers Hand Book.
A Solvent For Hard Grease, Wax and Lard Oil.
1/2 Coal Oil / Lamp Oil and !/2 Gasoline or Benzene.

The recipe said the solvent was good for cleaning other items of which I do not remember, but I have made it and used as penetrating Oil, which was one of the items the recipe said it was good for. H. B. Lyon