Where Was N&W's First Interlocking?

Mon May 15 08:43:22 EDT 2006

Abe:
Up front, I'll tell you I don't know where N&W's first interlocking was
located.
The chronology of the Norfolk & Petersburg would indicate that probably
Southern Branch Bridge(now known as Bridge VII) had some elementary
form of interlocking. There was an incident there in April, 1863 - the USM
RR
"Colonel D. C. McCallum" hauling seven cars went through the open draw.
Since the ICC did not issue a report on this accident, it's difficult to
determine IF indeed Southern Branch was interlocked at that time.

Eastern Branch draw bridge came later, 1860 I think. Circa 1945, two
light engines (Class W's I think) went through the open draw. The ICC
didn't issue a report on that one either.
Harry Bundy