Ash Hoists

Mon May 15 09:50:09 EDT 2006

That 'twould appear to be what Mr. E.W. King Jr. described to be as a "Norfolk-style" ash hoist. They were used some places, like Bristol, I believe, to refuel engines also.
IIRC, they were made by Roberts & Schaefer Co. of Chicago. Somewhere, long ago, I found an ad for the thing in a Railway Engineering & Maintenance Cyclopedia. I may have a photocopy somewhere. It had a crude drawing of the thing, I think. I'll see if I can dig it out of the junk boxes.
I actually wrote Roberts & Schaefer some years ago in hopes they still had drawings of the thing, but never received a reply.

Andre Jackson and/or Lisa Burrows
Life is short; update your anti-virus software
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: Ash Hoists

Here's Jim Brewer's find, VTU image "nw147," after a trip through Mr Adobe's car wash.

If VTU gave us images of a bit higher resolution, we could read the number on the front of that K on the right.

-- abram burnett