N&W Rule Book of April 15, 1898

Tue May 16 13:55:09 EDT 2006

Abram,

One of us has an odd-ball 1898 rule book (see my comments in caps following yours below).

The title page of my book is as follows:

Norfolk and Western Railway Company, Rules and Regulations for the Government of the Operating Department, Superseding all existing Orders or Instructions Inconsistent Therewith, Effective April 15, 1898, 12:01 AM

The printer is Stone Printing and Manufacturing Co., Roanoke, Va. (no date).

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: N&W Rule Book of April 15, 1898

Scribit Eduardus Rex:

Let's find out for sure, Mister King ! Check yours for the following features, which characterize the 1898 Rule Book...

Page 8 is the first page bearing a printed page number.

YES

The 11th page is unnumbered but contains General Rules 1 through part of 5, the last word being "...practices;"

NO. THE ELEVENTH PAGE INCLUDES THREE LINES OF 6 ENDING, "...written consent of the"

Page 24 covers Yard Masters, Rules 42-47.

NO. PAGE 24 COVERS TRAIN DISPATCHERS, RULES 50-56

Page 48 carries rules 114 through part of 115, the last words being "... for their safety; in"

NO. PAGE 48 CARRIES RULES 140 THROUGH PART OF 143, THE LAST WORKS BEING "...the engineman must"

Page 63 carries rules 191-195.

NO. PAGE 63 CARRIES PART OF RULE 211, RULES 212 THROUGH 216.

Pages 89 to 94 are blank and unnumbered.

NO. PAGES 82 THROUGH 94 ARE BLANK AND UNNUMBERED, EXCEPT PAGE 93 CARRIES "Train Rules"

Page 127 carries Rule 407 through (part of Rule 412(a), the last words being "... the train displaying the"

NO. PAGE 127 IS BLANK. RULE 407 IS ON PAGE 122 AND RULE 412(a) IS ON PAGE 123.

Pages 132-139 are blank. Pages 153-158 are blank. Pages 173-178 are blank.

NO. PAGES 127-160 ARE BLANK EXCEPT PAGE 159 CARRIES "Forms of Train Orders"
PAGES 173-180 ARE BLANK.

Page 183 gives rules 508-510.

YES. PAGE 183 GIVES RULES 508-FIVE LINES OF 510

The last page of the book is 192, which concludes with rule 542.

YES

The binding on these books must have been lousy. Four or five pages in my copy are completely loose from the stitching. I just noticed in going through the book that pages 161-162 are missing.

If you want me to send you a scan of the title pages which is missing from your book, write me at pravoslavna at gmail.com . Perhaps someone can provide me with a scan of pp. 161/162.

-- abram burnett