N&W B&O

Fri May 19 14:15:16 EDT 2006

In reference to B&O in the 70's at Portsmouth, OH they may have still be operating the line from Sciotoville on into New Boston but not necessarily into downtown Portsmouth. The business was all at New Boston which is only blocks away from today's track ending. By the way, cross ties are loaded out in downtown Sciotoville year around. The concrete tie plant is east of this operation. Historically we had C&O, B&O, N&W and DT&I within a 20 mile radius. The DT&I and C&O did not service the Portsmouth area for reasons stated the previous message. But, I find it historically interesting to see the abandoned R/Ws and in the case now of new business coming back to these old lines. The Greater Miami is getting very active in Lawrence County and Vinton County Ohio particularly with east coast trash movements. Coal, limestone and clay are coming back into play and that is so historical that I am watching it with particular interest just because it history repeating itself.

Oakie Ford
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: N&W B&O

I don' know when the B&O line was severed into Portsmouth. But I do remember that the B&O
had a isolated yard job there in the 70"s remember seeing a lonely GP9 there on several occasions.
N&W rotaing power in and out for them I assume.

Larry Evans
Kenova,WV