Strasburg Convention

Sun May 21 11:47:06 EDT 2006

I have read, with interest, both the comments of Steve Rineair regarding the
Strasburg Convention and the numerous responses to his comments.

The question of holding a Society convention in Strasburg is not a new one.
It was first raised at a convention in Portsmouth, VA some years ago when
the 475 was first acquired by the Strasburg Railroad. At the time, Steve was
not in favor of holding the convention in Strasburg AND gas was probably under
$1.00 per gallon. He was very vocal at the Society business meeting. Fine,
everyone is entitled to their personal preferences and opinions. The part
that concerns me is that Steve seems to feel that he's compelled to cast a
cloud over the convention for those of us who are looking forward to an
enjoyable weekend.

True, Strasburg is not on N&W lines. On the plus side, we have a great
convention host in Rick Musser who also happens to be the Roundhouse Foreman at
Strasburg. Because of Rick's knowledge and position, those attending the
convention will be afforded a rare opportunity to see the 475 in operation and to
get a very close look at the operations of the Strasburg Railroad. Real
live steam..close up and N&W to boot.

SO...give it a break Steve! We're sorry that Strasburg doesn't fit with
your particular thoughts regarding Society conventions, but please don't go out
of your way to spoil it for the rest of us.

Jim Gillum