Steam Boiler Filling

Fri Jun 30 08:25:20 EDT 2006

Dave,

At locomotive servicing facilites in the old days. A connection would be
made to the blow down valves and the boiler would be pumped to half a glass
of 180 degree hot water and filled with steam to about 150-200 psi. This
apparatus is called modified steaming. when the engine was called the
engine would go out to a service track and have its fire lit.

At a small facility that wasn't set up in this way a plug could be removed
and the boiler filled with a large hose then heated up slowly to avoid heat
stress.

With modified steaming, it made for a very efficent procedure. which was
also used after boilers were washed out or waiting for long periods with
fire droped.

John Rhodes