Hot water pump and coolers

Tue Jul 11 22:25:21 EDT 2006

How and where was the water removed? What quantities of water are we talking about?
Thanks,
Jim Hall

Worthington SA Feedwater Heater Systems consisted of a cold water pump, a
heater unit, and a hot water pump. The cold water pump (turbine) supplied
water to the heater unit ahead of the smokestack, after which the hot water
pump (reciprocating) pumped it through the check valve into the boiler.

When air comes out of an air pump it is hot. Engines were provided with
coils or loops of piping between the air pump and the air reservoirs to cool
it; later, after coolers such as the Wilson seen on many class A engines did
the trick. After it was cooled, it was easy to remove water which may have
been condensed with the air.

Ed King
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 10:18 PM
Subject: Hot water pump and coolers