Bristol Line signals ten years ago

Sat Jul 22 19:46:24 EDT 2006

Go for it.

Tom Anson

> --0-1633769152-1153584353=:78704

> The recent topic of CTC on the Bristol Line brought back to mind my

project ten years ago in which I set out to photograph all the signals on
the line. While I missed quite a few by not knowing where they were, or
having to trespass, I did quite a bit of field research, study and
documentation. I have a notebook full of information that I learned and
noted, from footer locations, and long forgotten signal locations, to
photograph exposure settings, dates, locations, etc.

> Ten years ago at this time I was running all over the country in my

spare time taking as many photos as I could to capture the passing of these
signals, much in the same way a lot of you folks did all you could to
capture the passing of steam locomotives. I decided to share a few with
you, and if there's interest, I will post more.

> As a note, I had hoped at one time to publish a book about all this, but

I doubt that will ever happen. Besides, this way I can share them with
everyone at no cost to me or you!

> Let's start at Rural Retreat and head west.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/eastendlookingeast1
996640.jpg

> Here we have the East End Rural Retreat signals, with the station on the

left, and we are looking east. The date is July, 1996. The eastward signal
only has one arm on it as a result of the siding being removed about five
years previous to the photo, and the signals were modified accordingly, but
retained as a control point. The footers for the new Safetran signals are
highlighted to make them more visible. They were installed about a week
later. It would be the following January before they were turned on.

> Now, we're at the West End of Rural Retreat. July, 1996.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/westendlookingeastb
w.jpg

> This is the West End Rural Retreat signal, still a controlled signal,

but the siding is gone as we noted on the east end. The signal's lower arm
has only the center marker lamp, as the diagonal aspect has been removed,
and the corresponding westward signal in the distance also has no arm for
the siding anymore. There are no signals at this location anymore.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/pedistalbox640.jpg

> I have no idea what was in it, and I wanted to get one, but was unable

to.

> At the Brickyard, about three miles on west, I captured this train on

November 15th, 1996.

> http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/356211-15-

96640.jpg

> Now we're at Mount Carmel, about a mile west of the East End Marion

siding.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/3611nightapproachdi
vergingretouched.jpg

> This was this signals last approach diverging aspect given, taken in the

wee hours before dawn the day of the signal cutover in February 1997 and
we're looking west. The constellation Orion was visible in the sky beyond
the signal, and is very clear on the slide, but didn't scan over well, so I
retouched it to make it easier to see.

> Here's the same location looking east. This was taken in the late

summer of 1996.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/looklingeastnight64
0.jpg

> This photo not only documents the signals better than any day shot I

have, but also emphasizes the pole line crossing the tracks to the north
side. After about a mile, they crossed back to the south side. I have no
idea why.

> Now, here's my most famous photo taken at McMullin, about three miles

west of Marion in April 1992, looking east to see the moon rise.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/Moonshot01640.jpg

> This was a twelve second time lapse photo, and a car passed over the

bridge to the left. This actually helped emphasize the bridge. This was
not a planned photo. It was a pure stroke of luck.

> Here's the same location in a daytime photo. You can see how

unremarkable the location is.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/mcmullinday640.jpg

> I don't remember for sure, but I think I took this photo the very next

day. The night shot puts the emphasis on what I wanted to capture, while
this one is kind of bland and unremarkable.

> I hope you enjoy this little slideshow, and as I said, if there's

interest, I'll post more.

> Enjoy!

> Ben Blevins

> --0-1633769152-1153584353=:78704

project ten years ago in which I set out to photograph all the signals on
the line.&nbsp; While I missed quite a few by not knowing where they were,
or having to trespass, I did quite a bit of field research, study and
documentation.&nbsp; I have a notebook full of information that I learned
and noted, from footer locations, and long forgotten signal locations, to
photograph exposure settings, dates, locations, etc.</div>
the country in my spare time taking as many photos as I could to capture the
passing of these signals, much in the same way a lot of you folks did all
you could to capture the passing of steam locomotives.&nbsp; I decided to
share a few with you, and if there's interest, I will post more.</div>
about all this, but I doubt that will

> ever happen.&nbsp; Besides, this way I can share them with everyone at no

Rural Retreat and head west.&nbsp; </div> <div><A
href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/eastendlookin
geast1996640.jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/e
astendlookingeast1996640.jpg</A></div> <div>Here we have the East End Rural
Retreat signals, with the station on the left, and we are looking
east.&nbsp; The date is July, 1996.&nbsp; The eastward signal only has one
arm on it as a result of the siding being removed about five years previous
to the photo, and the signals were modified accordingly, but retained as a
control point.&nbsp; The footers for the new Safetran signals are
highlighted to make them more visible.&nbsp; They were installed about a
week later.&nbsp; It would be the following January before they were turned

> West End of Rural Retreat.&nbsp; July, 1996.</div> <div><A

href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/westendlookin
geastbw.jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/westen
dlookingeastbw.jpg</A></div> <div>This is the West End Rural Retreat
signal, still a controlled signal, but the siding is gone as we noted on the
east end.&nbsp; The signal's lower arm has only the center marker lamp, as
the diagonal aspect has been removed, and the corresponding westward signal
in the distance also has no arm for the siding anymore.&nbsp; There are no
pedistal box about a mile on west of Rural Retreat.&nbsp; </div> <div><A
href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/pedistalbox64
0.jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/pedistalbox6
40.jpg</A></div> <div>I have no idea what was in it,&nbsp;and I wanted to
get one, but was

miles on west, I captured this train on November 15th, 1996.</div> <div><A
href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/356211-15-
96640.jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/356211-
about a mile west of the East End Marion siding.</div> <div><A
href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/3611nightappr
oachdivergingretouched.jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard
/signals/3611nightapproachdivergingretouched.jpg</A></div> <div>This was
this signals last approach diverging aspect given, taken in the wee hours
before dawn the day of the signal cutover in February 1997 and we're looking
west.&nbsp; The constellation Orion was visible in the sky beyond the
signal, and is very clear on the slide, but didn't scan over well, so I
retouched it to make it

looking east.&nbsp; This was taken in the late summer of 1996.</div>
href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/looklingeastn
ight640.jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/lookli
ngeastnight640.jpg</A></div> <div>This photo not only documents the signals
better than any day shot I have, but also emphasizes the pole line crossing
the tracks to the north side.&nbsp; After about a mile, they crossed back to
west of Marion in April 1992, looking east to see the moon rise.</div>
href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/Moonshot01640
jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/Moonshot01640
jpg</A></div> <div>This was a twelve second time lapse photo, and a car

> passed over the bridge to the left.&nbsp; This actually helped emphasize

the bridge.&nbsp; This was not a planned photo.&nbsp; It was a pure stroke
daytime photo.&nbsp; You can see how unremarkable the location is.</div>
href="http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/mcmullinday64
0.jpg">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/mcmullinday6
40.jpg</A></div> <div>I don't remember for sure, but I think I took this
photo the very next day.&nbsp;&nbsp;The night shot puts the emphasis on what
I wanted to capture, while this one is kind of bland and
slideshow, and as I said, if there's interest, I'll post more.</div>

> <hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>

> Get on board. <a

href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42298/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/h
andraisers">You're invited</a> to try the new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

--
Tom Anson