Frank Miller

Mon Jul 24 21:07:01 EDT 2006

Thank you, Gordon, for letting me know about Frank's passing. He was one of the many who helped me greatly in the mid-70s with my research and never hesitated to give assistance to tell the N&W story. Now, there are few remaining from the steam who were involved in the design of N&W's steam motive. He will be missed.

I am grateful for Frank, and many others, who gave so much to preserve the N&W legacy.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 11:23 AM
Subject: Frank Miller

One of the last, if not the last, N & W steam locomotive designers died Saturday. Frank Miller 85 had worked as a locomotive draftsman in his early career with the N & W. I don't know what other steam locomotive work that he did, but I remember his telling me that his work included the design of steam locomotive boiler patches.

In the diesel era he was Manager of Locomotive Design.

The family has requested in lieu of flowers that memorials be made to Emmanuel Wesleyan Church, 402 Hershberger Road, Roanoke, VA 24012.

Gordon Hamilton