N&W icons: the singularly N&W 440-volt line on poles -- and the preceding photo of RS11s on a coal train

Wed Aug 2 11:42:56 EDT 2006

Thank You, Gordon, and since You talked to a couple of fine retired N&W Signalmen about this, there seems to me to be no reason NOT to believe this explanation. I thought this "expert" approach would work -- usually does...Thanks again, Lloyd Lewis....Now about that b&w photo of the several ALCo RS-11s up front on the coal train that preceded this question....Anyone know the location??

I talked with a couple of retired N & W Signal Department people about this subject to be certain that my feeble memory was correct.
The offset bracket on the top of signal line poles is called a "bayonet." It carries a "ground" or "static" line that is grounded at every fourth or so poles by a wire that runs from the static line down the pole to a stake in the ground. The purpose of the static line is to provide a low resistance path to ground for lightening strikes. The purpose of the offset in the bayonet is to accommodate the insulator and one wire of a three-phase, 4400-volt signal power circuit on top of the pole. The two other wires of the three-phase circuit are carried on insulators at either end of a cross arm below. Gordon Hamilton