Trains 1 and 2 consist handling at Hagerstown

Wed Aug 9 00:10:47 EDT 2006

August 9, 2006

Good morning!

I'll certainly welcome more information about trains 1
and 2 consists and how they were handled at
Hagerstown, Maryland. I believe I recall a clerk
stating that the HAGERSTOWN & ROANOKE RPO train 1 crew
had "advance time" in Hagerstown. This means the RPO
was parked on a siding and the crew worked a few hours
before train departure.

The Pennsylvania Railroad's Harrisburg to Hagerstown
postal service was a short-run of the HARRISBURG &
WINCHESTER RPO. The Hagerstown to Winchester portion
was handled in a 15-feet RPO apartment with only one
round trip daily except Sundays and holidays. All
HARRISBURG & WINCHESTER RPO services were discontinued
on July 29, 1949, including the short-runs between
Hagerstown and Harrisburg. So, at least between late
1949 and 1962, the RPO used on the HAGERSTOWN &
ROANOKE RPO for sure did not travel north beyond
Hagerstown.

A 1954 N&W train consist book I've seen is missing the
Shenandoah Division trains 1, 2, 13, and 14. Has
anyone else seen a copy that does include these
sheets? Does anyone have access to a PRR passenger
train consist book?

Good night and good morning,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com