Passenger Exchange N&W to PRR

Wed Aug 9 22:32:32 EDT 2006

I rode the "New York Train" fall 1959, Roanoke to
Harrisburg, and the entire train went to Harrisburg.
What happened after that I don't know. I was
definitely riding coach, with college student
economics firmly in control of my accommodations, and
did not change cars at Hagerstown. I can say this
about the trips. N&W's Walter Finney moved the train
with considerable urgency up the valley, but PRR was
another story. The run was slow, track rough, and
timekeeping lax. The last miles in Pennsylvania were
a real letdown.

Dave Stephenson