clearing the right of way

Tue Aug 29 05:44:51 EDT 2006

NS is finally addressing some of the overgrown right of way problems on the Bristol Line. Thank goodness! I think these guys are contractors and not railroad employees. That kind of surprises me because wouldn't that create a labor issue with the union?

Anyway, they worked near my house yesterday and were cutting some pretty big timber. I can remember when I was younger that the N&W kept everything cleaned off. Now they don't, and especially since the pole line was turned off, they have let everything grow up except for what the mechanical brush cutters can reach. I wish they'd keep it mowed off like they used to. It made the countryside look better.

Ben Blevins