The most perfect locomotive -- N&W's J -- and Its TOP Speed of 128 mph!!!

Mon Sep 11 11:57:32 EDT 2006

Yes that story has been around, before. It was supposedly timed by watch.
In a mile the time difference from 125 and 140 is under 3 seconds and If you
are timeing a shorter distance it is even less. The likely hood of accuracy
of timing with a watch manually over 100-120 or using a section less than a
mile is very slim. So I wouldn't take this as fact. That said the T1's did
break some franklin poppet drive boxes which where bench tested for long
periods at 100 mph. No one will argue that these engines were capable of
very high speeds. On paper they probably should be one of if not the
fastest steam engine ever built.

John Rhodes