Classification Yards

Tue Sep 19 21:30:15 EDT 2006

Todd and Harry.

That's the store. We used to live a couple of blocks away over on High Street. I remember many a hot summer night hearing the Leslie Airhorns blowing for the crossings at Waller, Lincoln, Hutchins and Gallia by the Williams shoe factory. Sometimes you could vaguely make what sounded like a loudspeaker system. I also remember hearing the cars being humped especially a hard couple.

Harry, I know you meant no disrespect, I may have been a little sensitive myself. Forgive me for being sensitive. Most of my friends had a railroad dad. As for meI crossed the N&W tracks or went under them almost every day. One of my favorite places to watch trains was the old wooden pedestrian bridge next to Williams Shoe Factory, near the throat of the yard.

My best friend's father worked at the N&W and he was foreman and worked during the strike The inside of Portsmouth Yard was like a compound, but my friend's father told me he ate like a king, and they put them up in some sleeping cars.

A.J. Gemperline